Wood-Burning Stoves, Inserts & Fireplaces
There are approximately 12 million wood stoves in homes today and 9 million of those are older, non EPA-certified stoves that are 50% less efficient than newer stoves.
Energy efficiency benefits of replacing old wood stoves and fireplaces:
- Saves money, fuel, time and resources.
- Up to 50% more energy efficient.
- Can use 1/3 less wood for the same heat.
- Cuts creosote build-up in chimneys that helps reduce the risk of fire.
Environmental benefits of replacing old wood stoves and fireplaces with new appliances:
- Reduces indoor and outdoor wood smoke pollution which has been linked to cancer, asthma and other serious health conditions. See health effects of wood smoke for more information.
- Improved combustion efficiency reduces CO2, methane and black carbon emissions.
- Saves billions in health benefits each year.
Fireplaces - Fireplaces can be either masonry fireplaces or factory-built fireplaces (also called prefabricated or "prefabs"). They are usually open face but most come standard with doors.
A masonry fireplace is almost always built of bricks. There are some specialty types that are more exotic and use refractory materials, but 99.9% of them are made with bricks.
A factory-built fireplace is a metal box with refractory bricks inside manufactured to be framed into a house, without masonry. Sometimes they are gas fireplaces, but are often for burning wood.
Insert - An insert can be put into any factory built open faced fireplace. It is important to remember inserts can only go into a fireplace that is built into the home.
Stove - Freestanding unit. Usually installed in a central location with clearance around all areas of the stove.
Can be used for cooking or heating.
- Pacific Energy Wood Stoves
- Regency Wood Fireplaces
- Regency Wood Inserts
- Regency Wood Stoves
- Quadrafire Wood Stoves
- Quadrafire Wood Inserts
- Quadrafire Wood Fireplaces
- Napoleon Wood Fireplaces
- Napoleon Wood Stoves
- Napoleon Wood Inserts
- J A Roby Wood Stoves
- J A Roby Woodburning Cook Stoves
- ICC RSF Wood Burning Fireplaces